PDM Success Principles

Helping you get from where you are to where you want to be

Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Don’t let the GOOD things crowd out the GREAT things! - Robert Rohm

At the start of each year we are given a chance for a new beginning. We have the opportunity to set new goals, dream bigger dreams and reach for the stars that we envision in our hearts.

I am always grateful for the opportunity to start fresh. It would seem that our Creator made that part of His plan. After all, we get to start fresh every twenty-four hours with a new day, every seven days with a new week, and every four weeks with a new month. Yes, it is a great truth that new beginnings are part of life.

As we begin a brand new year, however, not allowing GOOD things to crowd out GREAT things will be one of the biggest challenges that each of us will face! GOOD things may include such mundane matters as paying bills, cutting the grass, buying groceries, doing the laundry and taking care of the routine things that occupy part of our time. The older I get, the more I see that GOOD things often become the enemy of GREAT things.

When I look back over my life, I can see that the great events that have occurred have usually come at a high price. They required that I stop some of the familiar behaviors that I had grown accustomed to and that I begin some brand new behaviors that were perhaps more difficult. In other words, great things require great effort!

You have probably heard the saying, “Nothing changes if nothing changes!” I have adopted that as my new motto for this coming year. I cannot allow things to remain the way they have always been and expect them to suddenly change. It takes a lot of concentrated effort to break old patterns and begin new ones. But, after all, that is when great things occur.

Someone once suggested that I make a list of the things I want to do each day and then number the list according to priority. Then, starting with number one I should work on it without stopping until it was completed. If there were ten things on my list and by the end of the day I had only completed number one, the other nine GOOD things would pale in comparison with the one GREAT thing I had accomplished. However, if I completed the nine GOOD things but, did not do the one GREAT thing I wanted to accomplish, I would experience a sense of loss. I cannot remember who told me that but, I will always be grateful they did. It has become one of the greatest tools I have ever learned to use in my daily life. It seems when I focus on my priorities, it eliminates confusion. The fifteen minutes invested in making a daily schedule is multiplied one hundred fold before the end of the month.

Now, I am not trying to lay out some new magical formula for life, nor am I offering another reason for us to experience guilt. However, I am seeing that there is power in focusing on doing GREAT things rather than just on GOOD things.

The GREAT things that we do here at Personality Insights, Inc., come through a lot of hard work, commitment and dedication from each of us. On the other hand, all of the GOOD things that we do (and there are many of them), really do not make much difference in the lives of other people. I mean, after all, making sure that the floor is swept, the trash is taken out, the bills are paid, the bathroom has toilet tissue, and that the light fixtures have light bulbs that are working properly are all GOOD things and they must be done. But, they will crowd out the GREAT things that we want to do if we allow it.

It is time consuming, tedious work to create a new book, design new materials for consultants, develop web-site store fronts for our Affiliates and translate products into other languages for international markets. However, it is great to see a life changed and a whole new understanding come into a person’s life as a result of those efforts.

I want 2007 to be the best year of your life! I encourage you to make a list of all the GREAT things, as well as the GOOD things, you want to accomplish this year. Start with the GREAT things. At the end of the year, the GOOD things, for the most part, will all be taken care of, but the GREAT things will change your life and the lives of the others around you.

I do not know how many days I have left on this earth, but I want today to matter! And, I want to make a difference by focusing on GREAT things that have lasting value. Don’t you?

Tip: Don’t let the GOOD things crowd out the GREAT things!

Have a great week! God bless you!

Robert Rohm Ph.D.
Personality Insights, Inc.
email:
insights@personalityinsights.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home